Our house was built in 1913 as a duplex. The first two owners were Mrs. Agnes Hutton and M. Boyle (possibly Mary A. Boyle Baillie, Agnes’s mother). Agnes’s husband, Baldwin Paterson Hutton was a banker and serves as Captain in the 103rd Regiment, Calgary Rifles. Baldwin’s parents moved to Calgary from Winnipeg in 1914 and lived at 1513. They only lived in the house for a couple of years before moving to Sunalta, but other members of the Baillie/Hutton family lived here until the early 1030’s. Agnes was a very active member of the community, serving as Chair of the Women’s Alliance and President of the Made-in-Calgary Show, an exhibition dedicated to promoting local businesses (but the event also had attractions like a replica French Canadian cabin and grandmothers selling gingerbread). The show was held in the Horse Show building in Victoria Park and attracted over 3000 visitors in April 1913.
Other long time residents of 1515 were Harry and Blanche Freeman. The Freemans moved to the house in 1940. Harry was the principal at Ramsay School, Stanley Jones and Connaught School. He started his career with the school board in 1918. In 1959, Harry retired and was honored at a banquet held at the Palliser Hotel.
On January 1, 1977, the house was purchased by Gerald Thurston, a professor in the Department of Drama at the University of Calgary. At the time it was a four-plex rental unit, but was quickly restored to an up-and-down duplex.
The house has become a hub for local, national and international artists living and working in Calgary.