In 1911, Calgary was just starting a boom growth period. At the peak of the surge in 1912, there were 47,000 people living in Calgary, and more were arriving every day.
Bridgeland was a "working man's" district, the community was the first home in Canada for a predominantly immigrant population intent upon establishing a new life.
Just two blocks south of where you are now standing, a streetcar line rumbled along First Avenue, ridden by working men coming home from the Dominion Bridge Co., Riverside Ironworks and the CPR rail yards.
On July 31, 1911 this vacant lot was purchased for $1095.00 from the Canadian Pacific Railroad, by Mr. Robert Colgrove, a real estate agent.
(Land Title shown on the right)
This home was completed in 1913. A two story structure originally, with a dirt root cellar and a coal furnace. Built in the 'Prairie Home' style it features a hipped roof with (originally) wood clapboard siding for the exterior walls. A single story hipped-roof porch runs across the front of the home. The building possesses a multitude of other prairie-stye elements and retains a high degree of architectural integrity.
It has been lovingly brought back to its pretty state of today by the present owner, who also established all of the flower garden.
The home has been extensively remodeled inside, yet retains the original charm. The interior doors and fittings are all original. The staircase and upstairs still have all the original fir floors. The original exterior clapboard was covered by previous owners unfortunately, but you can still see a section of the lovely clapboards in a corner of the basement today.
The 100 year old claw-tub originally came from the sister house next door of the same era.
In the 70's the root cellar was dug out and now a fully finished, full height basement exists.
The original coal furnace chimney remains in place and has been exposed on the upper floors for ascetic effect.
The concrete foundation walls are still present and are 18 inches thick. They just don't make them like they used to!
Photographs of the home on the poster