2701 Carlton St SW
1203 Frontenac Avenue SW
1885-24 Canadian Pacific Railway, original land patent holder, including lot 1, blk. 70, plan 7080AJ
1924-26 James WATSON (farmer), Harry A. Dunn (photographer0 and Watson Campbell Revell (foreman) all of Ontario, registered owners.
1926-27 Harold RHODES (manager) registered owner.
1927 James Nelson CHISHOLM (builder) registered owner – presumably he started construction of the residence.
1927-29 Harry Franklin LAZIER (general manager, Imperial Motors Ltd.), registered owner. The first resident of the house.
1929-40 Frank R. CAREY (asst. sec-treas. Regal Petroleum Co.), registered owner
1937-38 Ivan M. McIVER (mng. McIver’s Ltd) tenant
1939 Edgar H. PARSONS (major, district ordinance officer, MD), tenant
1940 John V. CORRIGAN (insptr. Royal Bank), tenant
1940-46 Edgar H. PARSONS (Lt-Col, D-O-C MD), registered owner
1946-73 Mary (Mollie) WILLIS, registered owner, Edward T. Willis (grain broker), Edward dies about 1959, Mary in 1973
1973-74 Patricia Norma WILLIS, ; executive of Mary’s will, she may be a daughter. The house stood vacant.
1974 Kenneth Harry HAYES (geologist) &Linda Mary Hayes, registered owner.
1974-76 George Randolph BUCHANAN (geophysicist Gulf Oil of Canada Ltd.), registered owner, Susan A. Buchanan
1976-91 Christine Rosemary MASON (MD, psychiatrist), registered owner
1991-94 Design R&D Ltd. (non-resident) registered owner
1991-92 Jim LUCAS, Pat, Suzanne & Michael Lucas, tenants
1992-94 In August, 1992, sixty five years after it was first built, the house at 1203 Frontenac Avenue was removed to Crossfield. In 1994, the vacant property was re-addressed as 2701 Carleton Street and the house from 2601 Carleton Street was moved onto the lot.
A caveat by Perry Campbell Hope, broker, and Donald MacPherson, electrician, claims that lot 19 was purchased from the CPR by William A. Costello, builder, on October 27th, 1911, and sold to Hope & MacPherson on July 19th, 1913. Costello likely began work on Hope House in 1911-1912 (he paid $900 for the lot and valued house and garage at $4,700 and $200 in 1945). Construction likely moved into high gear by the summer of 1912 but was not complete until late 1914. The City placed the property on the tax rolls in 1912. During the 1992-95 renovation, “Sat. Sep 28” was found penciled on a stud in the upper-floor wood frame, a date in 1912, newspapers from the summer of 1914 were found nailed as an air barrier to the upper storey walls underneath the lathe & plaster.
The 1914 edition of Henderson’s Directory (often wrong and often a year or more behind) shows MacPherson resident; the 1915 had Hope resident. Percy Hope was secretary- treasurer of Hope’s Ltd, commercial agents and local agent for Canada Steamship Lines Ltd. Other records show him going off to The Great War (and perhaps not returning?). Ironically, the old newspapers found in the house and mentioned above featured gripping images of the Turner Valley oil discoveries and the opening battles of the War. The War burst the real estate bubble and construction boom of 1912, and the market collapsed. Real estate prices did not recover until the 1970s.
A fleeting string of tenants occupied the house during the war years and into the early 1920s (including Fax, Russell, MacMillan and Little at a minimum). It appears from land titles documents that Costello may have reasserted his claim to the property in 1919.
Later John H. McKinlay-Key, a financier, took up residence for a span of two decades. He and his son stayed longer than anyone else in the history of the house, other than the current owners, but he never became the registered owner.
Wilfred F. Costello followed the McKinlay-Keys (in 1942 or 1943 according to Henderson’s) – he was one of two sons (the other was Everen W. Costello) of the original builder, William Costello. Pat Regis (nee Wishart) remembers Wilfred’s wife, Elizabeth, to have been about the same age as her own mother (i.e. born about 1905). William Alphonse Costello, carpenter the same William A. Costello, builder, of 1911 and 1919, was formally registered as the title-holder on March 29th, 1945. He was the first registered owner to follow the sixty years of CPR ownership.
Just one year later, in 1946, Wilfred & Elizabeth Costello moved to 1208 Frontenac Avenue to occupy a second of the three houses built in Mt Royal to this same floor plan (although there the floor plan was reversed). The third house of this type is at 1335 Montreal Avenue. William Costello may well have built them all. Some sources state that there was a fourth house of this plan also constructed on Montreal Avenue (perhaps at 1322), but no confirming records have yet been found.
The original land patent for section 27, W1/2 of section 9 & NW ¼ of section 9, Twp.24, Rge.1, W of 5th Mer. (1120 acres) was granted to the CPR on June 11th, 1885. In 1901 the CPR reduced the parcel to 800 acres and in 1911 blocks 63 & 70 of plan 7080AJ were carved out of W ½ of 9.
2601 Carleton Street SW
1885-45 Canadian Pacific Railway, original land patent holder, including lot 19, blk 63, plan 7080AJ
1911-13 William Alphonse COSTELLO (builder), owner – presumably he started construction of the residence
1913-19 Percy C. HOPE (broker) & Donald McPershon (electrician), owner. Presumed to be the first residents of the house.
1916 Reuben J. FAX (slsmn. Crown Cork & Seal), tenant
1917 Benj. RUSSELL (eng. D ? Irrigation), tenant
1918-19 John D. MacMILLAN (advt. mgr. The Herald Publishing Company Limited), tenant
1920-21 Robt. A.J. LITTLE (?), tenant
1922-42 John H. McKINLAY-KEY (mgr. Scottish Financiers Ltd.)owner. John A McKinlay Key Jr.
1943-46 Wilfred F. COSTELLO (real estate) & Elizabeth Costello, tenants
1945-46 William Alphonse COSTELLO (carpenter), registered owner
1946-51 Lawrence N. WISHART (accountant; supt. Precision Mach) & Gladys Wishart, registered owners, Pat & Laurie Wishart
1951-61 Terence Herbert REID (superintendant union Packing Co) & Irene E. Reid. Registered owners. Tony & bobby Reid
1961-76 Walter K.E. ERBARTH (administration manager Wintershall Oil of Canada ) & Kitty Erbarth, registered owners
1976-85 Roderick J. McKAY (accountant, partner, Thorne Riddell) & Jean L. McKay (dental hygienist), registered owners
1985-94 Design R & D Ltd. (non-resident) reg owner
1985-97 Maureen P. STERLING (personnel, Noreen Energy) & Robert F. Buller, tenants
1987-88 John J McMANN (owner, The Bolt Supply house Ltd) & Kim McCann, tenants
1988 Robert Y. McMURTRY (head of surgery, fac. of medicine, U of Calgary), Jane, Sean & Meghan McMurtry, tenants
1988-89 Roy D. HEALE, tenants
1989-92 Morris MCMANUS (lawyer), Karen, Lindsay & Tyler McManus, tenants
1992-94 In November, 1994, after remaining vacant for two years and more than eighty years after it was first built, the house at 2601 Carleton Street was moved here to 2701 Carleton Street and extensively renovated under its new name, Hope House.
Movin’ on: Jim Waugh, right, cuts away branches to make way for his house as it inches along Carleton Street in the southwest community of upper Mount Royal Wednesday. After two weeks of preparations, RAM Trucking made the one-clock haul from Dorchester Avenue to a new site on Frontenac Avenue.
Calgary Herald 1994.11.17