2502 16 Street SW
Bankview was established as a neighborhood in 1908. Emerging between 1905 and 1915 with the building of economical apartments and houses for the masses. The most strongly preferred form of housing being the detached single-family dwelling.
With the increasing labour force, street after street of mass-built bungalows and cottages were built.
It was and still remains predominantly a working class community.
The first owner was Alexander Stephens who worked as a Floorman for the Calgary Power Co. Probably as a result of its new operation of the Horseshoe Falls plant on the Kananaskis River.
Circa 1915, Charles Moore the second owner, may have bought this house as a revenue property. Since at that time there were many families looking to start a new life and could not afford to buy their own home.
People like Albert Isom that worked as a Track Foreman for CPR; and Samual Whitney, who was the manager for the Star Motor Cycle Co.
George, who was born in the area and lived across the street before the original houses were torn down and replaced with new houses, told of one owner resident. Mr. Ryan Flanagan, an Irish immigrant, managed a Market Garden and with his wife and raised 6 children in this handsome grand old lady home.
These Garden market, as a point of interest, arose as a result of the boom ending in the mid-teens of the 20th century. The first woman elected to City Council was Mrs. Annie Gale who arrived from England to Calgary in 1912. The same year this house was built. One of her many contributions to the Calgary community was her strong support of the cultivation of vacant lots to help supply vegetables to the city’s poor and less fortunate.
Looking at this old house you can see in the construction that there is both an elagance and a definite “homestead” quality to her style. The face with its lovely Irish clover motifs at the top of each column on the veranda to the utilitarian “matter of fact” construction of her sides.
Thank you for coming out to view these wonderful century homes.