This property has a relatively uncomplicated history.
The lot was subdivided about 1912, just prior to the economic slowdown. It remained undeveloped until the existing house was built about 1925.
The owners were William and Joan Duncan. They moved to this address from just up the street at 1421 1 St NW. William had previously worked as a firefighter, but was employed as a messenger for the Union Bank (amalgamated with the Royal Bank in 1925), by the time he moved to this address.
The Duncans had two children; Ella (a nurse at the Holy Cross Hospital in 1939), and Stewart (a soldier in 1941).
Stewart revisited the house about 1998 – he was quite elderly at the time and living in Ottawa.
This house has had very few owners. The current owners purchased it in 1988. A small addition was added to the west side in 2003.
The interior retains its original character including fir millwork, maple flooring, and a wood-burning fireplace. Another original but less desirable feature, is the “Model T” garage that has been trying to fall over for the last several years…
Thanks to Alan Zakrison for providing the above research.