View from below of one part of Centre Street Bridge. One of the bridge's lions can be seen on the upper right hand side of the postcard. Bridge was built in 1916 at a cost of $375,000. It was designed by John F. Green, a pioneer engineer in the field of concrete bridges who also designed the Louise and Mission bridges. The four concrete lions, emblems, shields and buffalo heads on the Centre Street Bridge were designed by Scottish stone mason James L. Thompson who came to Calgary in 1910. He worked as a labourer for the City and as a hobby, carved a lion for his garden at 2109 Centre Street North. The bridge lions, modelled after those at the base of Admiral Nelson's Monument in Trafalgar Square, London, were cast on the construction site, hoisted and cemented into place.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Postcards from the Past
The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.