Sepia photograph of a bird's eye view of the Imperial Oil Refinery just north of the Millican Odgen area. At that time in Calgary's history, 1923, the construction of the refinery was a large enterprise. Storage tanks alone, of which there were 7 planned, were to be 80,000 barrels. The plant covered more than 100 acres with a capacity of 2500 to 3000 barrels of gas per day. Projected cost was $2,500,000. Calgary labour was used, over 1000 men particpated. Construction was completed in October 1923.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
Calgary Public Library, Central Library, Local History Room
Postcards from the Past
The Calgary Public Library has digitized our Postcard Collection in order to provide our customers with a useful online historic resources. The Calgary Public Library makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to images digitized for our site. All images in this collection are intended for personal/research use only. Any other use, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the Library. Users are responsible for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying any associated fees necessary for the use of the image.