“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared October 26, 2004.
• Fire Hall No. 3 was built in 1906 after fire Chief James (Cappy) Smart identified a need in east Calgary. This early satellite station accommodated 10 firemen, a hose wagon, a hook and ladder wagon, and one of the city's first aerial ladders. Community activities included making a rink and allowing Alexandra School children to access the hall for skate changes.
Mrs. A.E. (Helen) Cross delivered cakes to the fire hall for more than 50 years after firemen rescued her home on Christmas Day 1907. A favourite legend concerned a monkey mascot killed by a dog in the 1930s. After a wake, the beloved mascot was buried under the fire hall's lawn in a special casket.
• Fire Hall No. 3 was decommissioned in 1952 when a new fire hall was built farther east. Over the years, No. 3 served as a kindergarten and home to the Inglewood Community Association. Stories of mysterious happenings abound.
During its 1981 renovation to become a restaurant, some smelled smoke in the building but no fire was present. It now houses the Hose & Hound Pub, and the firefighting tradition continues with vintage equipment lining the walls. The monkey's ghost remains in residence, wreaking havoc by tossing items around, turning machinery on and off and ringing bells. The sounds of hooves from ghostly horses have also been heard clopping through the dining room.