Oughton, David D.
• 3420 17th Avenue East
• Demolished: 1974
David Oughton was born in Ontario in 1864, the son of Irish and English immigrants. After living in Michigan for a number of years, Oughton travelled west to Calgary in 1901. The following year, he and his wife Jane and their four sons, homesteaded east of Calgary in the area now known as Albert Park and Forest Lawn. At that time there were only six or seven homesteads between Lake Chestermere and Calgary connected by a small trail.
Oughton served as town councilor for Forest Lawn and was a trustee for the Bow Valley School Board when it opened the first school in the area in 1906. In addition to farming, Oughton dabbled in ranching and the fledgling oil industry.
In the 1930s Oughton’s sons and Albert H. Mayland constructed a petroleum refinery at Hartell near Turner Valley. They established a southern Alberta gasoline and propane distribution business that was incorporated as Oughton Brothers Ltd. in 1946 and sold in 1974 to Gulf Canada.
Before David Oughton’s death in 1956, he donated the Radisson Heights property where Oughton School now stands.