“Cornerstones” were articles that appeared in the Sunday edition of the Calgary Herald between 1997 and 2000. The following article appeared February 22, 1998.
• Heritage Park Historical Village
• 1900 Heritage Drive S.W.
• Built: 1894
• Architect and owner: Peter Prince reportedly designed his home from plans of a Connecticut house published in the November 1893 issue of Scientific American, Architects and Builders Edition.
• Prince moved to Calgary in 1886 and became the manager of the Eau Claire and Bow River Lumber Company, a position he held until 1916. Prince quickly became involved in other business ventures. In 1889 Prince signed a contract to supply Calgary with electricity and formed the Calgary Water Power Company which he ran until his death in January 1925 at age 89. His wife Emily survived him by 19 years and his stepdaughter Nora remained living in the 4th Avenue house until her death in 1965. Calgary's Prince's Island Park is named for the "lumber baron" Peter Prince.
• Construction Materials: Yellow brick veneer on a sandstone foundation.
• Architectural style: Queen Anne style. Three storeys with a tower.
• Original interior details: 3,300 square feet. Parlor, dining room, kitchen, eight bedrooms, servant's quarters, and the modern convenience of hot water heating. Wood trim and floors.
• House originally built at 238 4th Ave. S.W close to Prince's Eau Claire and Bow River Lumber Company in the district now known as Eau Claire.
• In 1966 Alberta and Southern Gas and Alberta Natural Gas donated the house to Heritage Park, sponsoring the move and restoration as a Centennial project in 1967.
• In preparation for the move the woodwork and 25,000 bricks were removed and the house divided into three sections. It was reassembled on a simulated sandstone foundation on a lovely lot in Heritage Park.
• Interior has been restored and refurnished to depict the end of Edwardian Era (c.1910).
• Heritage Park opens for the 1998 season on Saturday May 16th.