“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared May 25, 2004.
THEN: Louise Bridge
• In 1887, the wooden Bow Marsh Bridge spanned the Bow River at this site. After being declared unsafe due to flooding and deterioration, a new steel bridge was completed in 1906. Known as 10th Street and Sunnyside Bridge, it was officially named Louise. It was not named after Princess Louise, as was popularly believed, but after the deceased daughter of W. H. Cushing, former alderman and mayor, then provincial commissioner of Public Works. Rapid growth made the bridge inadequate by 1912. Eventually, a new bridge was completed in 1921 called the Hillhurst Bridge. The old bridge, in use for several years afterwards, was finally moved to span the Ghost River.
NOW: Hillhurst (Louise) Bridge
• The bridge, which now carries 32,000 vehicles daily, was still popularly known as Louise and, in 1970, renamed the Hillhurst (Louise) Bridge. On Sept. 22, 1995, the bridge reopened after nine months of repairs due to age and corrosion. Reid Crowther and Partners won an award for its engineering work. Replicas of actual Calgary 1920s light fixtures were installed and archival photos were consulted in designing the balustrade and relief.