Two schools shown ; South Ward School and Haultain School.
“Cornerstones” were articles that appeared in the Sunday edition of the Calgary Herald between 1997 and 2000. The following article appeared February 8, 1998.
• 225 13th Avenue S.W.
• Built: 1893-1894
• Architect: J.L.Wilson of the Calgary architectural firm Child and Wilson.
• Contractor: Thomas Underwood of Calgary. Interior finishing completed by William Wood and I.H. Church.
• Original cost: $2,500.00
• Construction materials: Hand hewn, rough faced sandstone from the William Oliver quarries.
• Architectural style: First and only school in Calgary built in the Richardson Romanesque style.
• Original interior details: Two classrooms. Furniture was locally made. Long benches and tables were used rather than individual desks.
• 30 lots at $125.00 each were purchased from the Canadian Pacific Railway ($3,750.00)
• The South Ward school completed August 7, 1894 was Calgary's first sandstone school and the first to have electricity and running water.
• Following the September 1894 opening only one of the two rooms was used. The second classroom was not required until 1899 when the recession of the 90s ended.
• In 1900 Miss A.G. Foote taught the junior room and Mr. Jarrett the senior room. A cadet corps was introduced in 1898. In 1901 a pioneer program of industrial and manual training was offered to boys in the higher grades under the McDonald Lloyd Training Fund.
• During 1906 a three storey, ten room sandstone school designed by architect R.G.Garden was erected on the east side of South Ward for $60,000. After the new school was built the original two room structure was used as a workshop by the Board's Building Department until 1910. It became known as the Annex.
• In 1910 both South Ward schools were formally renamed Haultain after Sir Frederick William Gordon Haultain who represented Calgary for years in the North-West Territories Legislature and had been Premier from 1892 to 1905.
• Between 1910 and 1914 the Haultain Annex housed the office of Dr. Melville Scott, Calgary's first Superintendent of Schools.
• Over the years the Annex was used for classrooms, storage, workshop, offices, gymnasium and auditorium.
• In 1922 the Haultain Annex was renovated and used once again for regular classes. The original frame entrance was torn down and replaced with a stone entrance which included a cloak room and lobby.
• By 1925 the Haultain complex was the biggest in the city with 525 students.
• 1933 monthly salaries ranged from $126.00 for Miss A.H. Smith to $272.80 for principal B.L.Cook. The assistant janitor was paid $100.00.
• Principal R.L. Harvey organized Calgary's first school patrols at Haultain in 1937.
• After 1957 Haultain offered only the elementary grades.
• By 1962 enrolment had declined to 135 elementary students resulting in the closure of both Haultain schools
• The May 26, 1962 closing ceremonies featured the Calgary School Patrol Band. Miss Dorothy Rogers, children's librarian at Memorial Park library read the school's epitaph. " I am content to retire in honor, and leave this task to the younger stewards."
• May 12, 1964 a three alarm fire completely destroyed the 1907 structure and damaged the 1894 building.
• In 1972 the School Board leased the property and Annex to the City of Calgary and a park area was developed.
• August 15, 1979, amid considerable controversy over the future of the 1894 school and the valuable property where it was situated, Alberta Minister of Culture declared Haultain Annex a Registered Historic Resource.
• November 1980 - City of Calgary purchased the "Annex" and surrounding property for $3.1 million.
• In 1986 the restored Haultain Annex, the city's oldest surviving school building, was reopened by Mayor Ralph Klein as the Uncles at Large headquarters.
• Currently home to the Haultain School of Fine Arts.
• (Taken from Feb 15, 1998 Calgary Herald): *Note on last weeks' Cornerstones column: Haultain School is currently home to the Haultain School of Fine Arts. The name of the principal mentioned in the column is R.L. Harvey.
“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared July 15, 2003.
South Ward School/Calgary Parks Foundation office
225 13th Ave. S.W.
Then: South Ward School/ Haultain School
• The two-room South Ward School cost $2,500 to complete in 1894. Designed in the Richardson Romanesque style by
J. L. Wilson and built of rough-cut sandstone from the Oliver quarries, it was the first city school with electricity and running water. Increasing enrolment led to its replacement in 1906 with the construction of a 10-room, three-storey school just to the east. The little old school became known as the Annex and for a time was used as a workshop for the school board's building department. In 1910, both South Ward Schools were renamed Haultain after Sir Frederick William Gordon Haultain, who represented Calgary in the North-West Territories legislature and was premier from 1892-1905. Over the years, the Haultain Annex has been used for classrooms, storage, workshops, gymnasium, auditorium, office space for Calgary's first superintendent of schools and headquarters for Uncles at Large.
Now: Calgary Parks Foundation office
• In 1980, amid considerable controversy over the future of the city's oldest surviving school building and the valuable surrounding property, Alberta's minister of culture declared the Haultain Annex a Registered Historic Resource. The following year, the City of Calgary bought the entire package for $3.1 million. Architect Gerald Forseth recently redesigned the Annex'sinterior to accommodate the Calgary Parks Foundation office.