“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared March 11, 2003.
Holy Cross Hospital/Centre
2210 2nd St. S.W.
Then: Holy Cross Hospital, 2210 2nd St. S.W.
• The Holy Cross Hospital was established in 1891 by four Sisters of Charity, members of the Montreal based Order of the Grey Nuns. The Oblate Fathers donated this site for construction of the first permanent hospital, which opened in November 1892. The three-storey stone and buff brick facility cost $6,000 to build and was expanded in 1906, 1907, 1910 and 1928 to accommodate the needs of a growing city. In 1966, a $5-million building program led to the demolition of all remaining original buildings except the 1928 McNabb wing designed by William Stanley Bates. (facing west on 2nd St. S.W.).
Now: Holy Cross Centre
• Over the years, numerous additions were built as the hospital attempted to meet the health care demands of an ever- expanding city. In 1969, the Holy Cross was sold to the provincial government and, by 1971, control was transferred to the Metro- Calgary and Rural and General Hospital District No. 93, which eventually evolved into the Calgary Regional Health Authority. Following the provincial government's closure of the Holy Cross in 1996, the facility was sold to Enterprise Universal. Recognizing the strength of a 105-year community connection, the company retained the name Holy Cross Centre. At that time, the historic McNabb wing was renovated to accommodate new tenants, including Mount Royal College. The remainder of the former hospital buildings are currently rented to a variety of other tenants, including health- related clinics.