Calgary's first airport was a grass field airport in the town of Bowness in 1914. In 1928 it was replaced with the Calgary Municipal Airport in the Renfrew area. 1938, Airport opened in the Calgary's northeast and was christened McCall Field in honor of Fred McCall a WWI flying ace and one of Calgary's pioneer aviators. 1940, the airport was taken over by the Federal Department of Transport to serve the war effort. The airport was expanded to include four runways and five wartime hangers. It was returned to the City of Calgary in 1949. 1956 a new terminal opened, but quickly obsolete (after dawn of Jet age), the city didn't have enough funding for upgrades. 1966, it was sold to Transport Canada who renamed it Calgary International Airport. 2016 was officially renamed YYC Calgary International Airport.