Stately home in Mount Royal with a cross mounted on the roof. "A.J. Sayre residence, 717 Royal Avenue"
“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared December 17, 2002.
Then: Royal Avenue (20th Avenue S.W.), Mount Royal District
• Between 1905 and 1911, the Canadian Pacific Railway developed Mount Royal as an elite residential district. Around 1906, American businessmen living and working in Calgary built the first homes along Royal Avenue, between 6th and 7th streets S.W. The area became known as American Hill, a name that quickly vanished when CPR registered a 1907 subdivision plan with street names of Upper Canada's British rulers.
Now: Royal Avenue
• Over the past 30 years, many Royal Avenue mansions have been demolished to accommodate construction of apartment and condominium developments. Remnants of the original river stone fence still border parts of Royal Avenue. Only one of the houses pictured in this early postcard still stands.