“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared December 24, 2003.
Then: Junior Red Cross Hospital
• Originally built as a residence around 1914, this three-storey brick home was converted for use as a children's hospital in 1922 by the Canadian Red Cross. Known as the Junior Red Cross Hospital, it had a capacity of 35 beds and accommodated children from across the province. Boys resided on the second floor, girls on the first and third. It was funded primarily through donations from the 41,000 junior members of the Red Cross Society and their friends. When a new 50-bed facility opened on 20th Avenue in 1929, this hospital was closed.
• The children's hospital reverted to residential use. In recent years, it was renovated and converted to apartments.