Stanley Jones School, 950 6 ST NW, taken in a snowstorm.
“Cornerstones” were articles that appeared in the Sunday edition of the Calgary Herald between 1997 and 2000. The following article appeared March 19, 2000.
Stanley Jones School (formerly Bridgeland)
• 950 6th St. Avenue N.E.
• Built: 1913 -1914
• Architect: Public School Board architect, William Branton.
• Contractor: Richard Addison Brocklebank multi-term Calgary alderman and building contractor. Brocklebank also built Central Park Library, YWCA, YMCA, Travis Block and the Oddfellows building. He was president of the Calgary Building Exchange and Vice-President of the Sandstone Brick and Sewer Pipe Co. Ltd. During World War I the fifty-one year old Brocklebank lied about his age and enlisted. Like Stanley Jone, he was killed during active service France in 1916.
• Original cost: $164,000
• Construction materials: Sandstone. Roof constructed of slate imported from Wales.
• Architectural style: Neo-Classical Revival
• Original interior details: Three storey, fifteen rooms.
• In February 1913, the Public School Board purchased property for the new Bridgeland school from the Canadian Pacific Railway Company for $24,000 with a down payment of $200.
• By the end of 1913 the school was partially completed and two classrooms were in use – Miss Bell’s grade 1 class and Miss William’s grades 2 and 3.
• In 1914 the school accommodated grades 1 to 5 and grade 8. Grades 6 and 7 went to Riverside. From September 1914 to June 1915, Bridgeland provided a temporary home to the Branch High School ( 90 grade 9 and 10 students). In 1915 they moved to Balmoral School where they were designated Crescent Heights School under Principal William Aberhart. Bridgeland reverted to an elementary school for grades 1 to 8.
• Originally called Bridgeland School, it was renamed Stanley Jones in 1916, in honour of Major Stanley Livingston Jones of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry. Major Jones died June 1916 after being wounded on a battlefield in France and captured by the Germans. Jones was born in Wolfville, Nova Scotia and educated at Acadia College. He taught in Manitoba before coming to Calgary around 1901 where he studied law with his brother Clifford T. Jones and another lawyer Clifford B. Reilly. After being admitted to the bar he practiced alone until 1905, when he formed a partnership with W.F.W.Lent. In 1904 he married Alice B. Todd of Walkerton, Ontario.They lived in Calgary at 531 8th Avenue East. Jones was President of the South African Veterans Association, Secretary of the Alberta Provincial Liberal Association, member of the Canadian Club, the Canadian Alpine Club and the I.O.O.F. A veteran of the Boer War (1899-1902), Jones travelled to the Balkans during the war of 1912-1913 as an official war correspondent for the Vancouver Sun.
• During the influenza epidemic in 1918, the school was converted to an emergency hospital. Teachers who stayed on as nursing assistants were paid $17.50 to $22.50 per week. In January 1919, the students returned to school.
• The school’s proximity to Renfrew airfield prompted city officials to install a revolving beacon on top of the school in 1929.
• Between 1956 and 1958 the school population exploded. The overflow attended classes in the nearby two-room Sereni Cottage School (built 1911). In 1958 the construction of a new $175,000 addition including a library, staff room, gym and two classrooms alleviated the space problem.
• A Sixtieth Anniversary reunion was held in 1973 and a commemorative book about the history of Stanley Jones School was published to celebrate the occasion.
• Distinguished graduates include war ace William McKnight, businessman Ron Southern and former mayor Don McKay.
• In November 1998, the school held the first annual history week. During this "blast from the past" students experienced school days of yesteryear. Boys and girls entered through separate doors and began the day by singing "God Save the King" and saluting the Union Jack.
• Approximately 500 students (kindergarten to grade 6) currently attend the school. The Stanley Jones School History Committee, organized in 1997, is looking for information, reminiscences and artifacts related to the school. If you are able to help call Bonnie at 777-6800.
“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared September 7, 2004.
Stanley Jones School
950 6th St. N.E.
• This 15-classroom neo-classical revival style school with the decorative cupola was built in 1913, with land acquired from the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was constructed of local sandstone and roof tiles from Wales. Originally called Bridgeland School, the name was changed in July 1916 to honour Maj. Stanley Livingston Jones of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. He was the first to volunteer from Canada when war was declared in 1914 and the first officer from Western Canada killed in action. The school served as an emergency hospital and children's dormitory during the Spanish influenza epidemic in 1918. In 1930, the school board exchanged adjacent land to accommodate the municipal airport. A revolving beacon was installed on the school.
• The school, still known as Stanley Jones Elementary, serves the community of Renfrew and buses in students from Coral Springs. As of September 2003, there were 344 students enrolled. The school motto is "Children come first, and last." It has 26 classrooms, a library and music room, with a gymnasium added in 1957. In the early 1960s, renovations added a junior gymnasium and two classrooms. The school offers specialists in learning and music and has three unique classrooms for the deaf and hard of hearing. The school also houses the Alice Jamieson All Girls Acadmy for grades 4 to 9.