“Then & Now” columns appeared weekly in the Calgary Herald between 2002 and 2005. The following article appeared February 11, 2003.
401 4th Avenue S.E.
Then: Cecil Hotel, 401 4th Ave. S.E.
• Built in 1912, the three-storey brick-veneer Cecil Hotel featured 57 rooms and a dining room with seating for 50. At the time it opened, the hotel was located "just far enough away from the city to eliminate the din and noise, but at the same time located within easy walking distance of the C.P.R. station and the commercial district."
Now: Cecil Hotel
• The Cecil has been owned and operated by a member of the Silberman family since 1968. Rooms are still rented out by the day, the week or the month. In August 2002, regular customers and guests celebrated the Cecil's 100th Anniversary.